Monday, July 19, 2010

Summer Road Trip 2010 - Day 7


We woke up to one of the most beautiful sunrises this morning. I wish I was a better photographer because this picture just doesn't do it justice.


We hit the road and finally crossed over into the sunny state of Florida!


We stayed at the cutest hotel on Jacksonville Beach The Palms Retro. If you are headed their way this is the place to stay. Their web site is www.palmsretro.com. I don't like to use this blog for publicity but I absolutely L-O-V-E-D this place. It is one of the old type beach hotels. One story tall and in a U shape with a court yard. I think they only have about 10 or 12 rooms. They were considerably more affordable than the large beach hotels. It is family owned and they have an on site manager. To say this place was cute just isn't enough. When we drove up this places screamed 50's beach party. From the turquoise and pink paint to the decorations in each room. Talk about finding a gem. Bonus is that since it is an older hotel our room actually had room. We weren't tripping on each other to walk to the bathroom or the door. The hospitality is wonderful. They had a small fridge with bottled cold water waiting for us and it wasn't for an additional charge! They had a nice coffee maker not like the ones in the pricey hotels (even though we don't drink coffee I noticed). We had a microwave as well as they provided microwave popcorn! Given that we are a family of four traveling it was really nice to have four large bath towels in the bathroom. I don't get why the other hotels think that four people only need two bath towels.

We stayed in the room called the "The Tube" and it was just adorable. If you notice they even had a retro alarm clock on the night stand. They had coffee table books about the 50's tv shows. They even provided two retro DVDs. I know one was I Love Lucy can not remember the other one. The murals on the walls were perfect. Did you notice the head boards. I loved this room. I did not get a picture but even the light switch in the bathroom had Lucille Ball on it. Such personality in every corner where you looked.

Another bonus is they are an easy walk to the beach. Even better the place you enter the beach is where the main life guard tower is for that stretch of beach.


One of the most important reasons for this road trip was this beautiful little girl. She is my cousin's daughter and a piece of my heart. This was the first time I was able to visit her since her birth a year ago. Thank God she has been able to come to Oklahoma for me to meet her. Just look at all those curls. She has as big of a personality as Lucille Ball herself. Maybe that is why her daddy is Puerto Rican. Love you E. I wish she were closer so I could watch her. What a joy she is.



While we were visiting we were let in on a secret. If my family is seeing this the following picture is the only hint you will get from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment